Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Boy Who Cried Wolf!


Last monday, Will came home from school and told me some kids on the playground were throwing rocks at a mans house who lives behind the school. He said that the man had killed his wife and daughter ( a story one of his frineds told him), so that is why they were throwing rocks at his house. He also told me that he came out of his house and pointed a gun at the kids. I asked him if he was throwing rocks too. He told me he decided to go play basketball but he had looked over and saw the gun. I am not a paranoid mother, but when a Will, who doesn't normally tell fibs told me he saw a man point a gun, I decided to call the school and have them look into it. I asked Will over and over again if he was telling the truth and he didn't crack. So I called the teacher and she told the administration and then they called the Police. The police went to the mans house and checked into it and he said it did not happen. The next day all of the kids received a letter home in their folders that said...


Dear Trailblazer Parents,

I would like to inform you about a situation that occured on the playground on monday, January 25 during second grade recess. There have been some rumors circulating around the campus about that afternoon I would like to address.

A second grade student reported to his teacher that a man behind the school pointed at him and then the student made a hand gesture like a gun. The teacher interpreted that to mean that is how the man pointed at the students. After school was out, a parent contacted the teacher because her child reported that a man actually pointed a gun at the students. We immediately called NISD police who came to the school who came to the school to investigate. The officer was able to verify that at no time was any gun or other weapon shown to students at Ott.



So, Will is the student and I am the parent mentioned in the letter. I think what happened was the man was outside smoking and maybe pointed the cigarette at the kids when they were throwing rocks. Who knows, but kind of embarassing! I did tell Will, that no matter if he really sees something or thinks he sees something like this again, I always want him to tell me. I would rather be embarassed then have something terrible happen to one of my kids.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I have to say that is pretty hilarious! Better safe than sorry though right?
I finished out those four logs in four days - yummy!! I'm glad Ben is home - we're ready for our shoot anytime!

Cassie said...

That's crazy. Good for you, though, for looking into it. I would have probably just ignored my kids...someday I might pay for my unaffected attitude. I hope not! Todd said it was so fun to see you last week. He went on and on about how much he loves the Robinsons! I couldn't agree more! :)