Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Broken foot: a blessing?

It has been over 1 year ago that I took a wrong step coming down the stairs with Kate in my arms. I tried a cast, crutches, a walking boot, steriod shot and still I could not run on my foot. It has been a trial for me this year. I love to run and I love to be busy all the time, however, this all changed when I broke my foot. I have tried to look back on this year and decide what lessons I have learned from this experience and believe it or not, I have learned so much. Most importantly, I learned how to slow down. I learned how to sit down and relax and enjoy my family this year and for this I am very thankful. A few months ago the prognosois on my foot was to have surgery to place two screws in it or to take out the broken piece of the bone. I had surgery yesterday and to the suprise of the surgeon and myself, the bone had healed all the way. He found some osteophytes (bone spurs) in the joint and was able to remove them to make my joint smooth again. I am very happy with this news and hope to be running again in about 4-6 weeks. Ben is here taking care of me and the kids and is doing a great job. I never thought I would say it was a blessing that I broke my foot, but I believe it was! I think I lost sight of what is most important in my life for a brief moment- but I know now. I will post some pics of my new wheels tomorrow!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Blessing for sure! Glad to hear that the Lord is watching over you. Happy Healing....

Jen A. said...

I love your blog!! Such a cute family. I love the Christmas pictures. You will soon have pictures from Hawaii to post! So glad to hear all went well with surgery, and actually better than planned!!